Lamaze’s Approach to Birth:
– Birth is normal, natural and healthy.
– The experience of birth profoundly affects women and
– Women’s inner wisdom guides them through birth.
– Women’s confidence and ability to give birth is either
enhanced or diminished by the care provider and place of
– Women have the right to give birth free from routine
– Birth can safely take place in homes, birth centers and
– Childbirth education empowers women to make
informed choices in health care, to assume responsibility
for their health and to trust their inner wisdom.
Lamaze’s Approach to Parenting:
– Good parenting is vital to the physical, emotional and
spiritual health of our children, ourselves and our society.
– Parenting is joyful, important, challenging and deeply
satisfying work that is worthy of everyone’s best efforts.
– Parenting begins before birth. The intimate connection
between children and their parents must be respected
and protected from the moment of birth throughout life.
– Mothers and fathers play unique, irreplaceable roles
in their children’s lives.
– Babies and children thirve in close, consitent interaction
with their parents.
– Parenting is a learned art; our most important teachers
are our parents, our family and our children.
– Good parenting requires the support of family,
friends and community.
– Knowledge and support enhance parents’ confidence
and ability to make informed decisions that meet the
needs of their children and themselves.